Kurs erfolgreich in der Favoritenliste gespeichertDie Favoritenliste kann in der obersten Navigationsleiste aufgerufen werden.
Project Management for Researchers
- Wednesday, November 06, 2019,
9:00 AM till 5:00 PM
- Wednesday, November 06, 2019,
- Registration Opens
- August 7, 2019, 9:00 AM
- Registration Deadline
- October 9, 2019
- Course Fees
- This course is free of charge and for doctoral candidates and postdocs of the University of Basel only (min. 6, max. 16 participants).
Dr. Dimitrije Krstic
- 1 ECTS
- Organized by
Project management was created more than 50 years ago to manage industry projects of great complexity, and was/is associated with production and utilization of series of graphs, charts, and procedures, often implemented through professional software solutions. However, project management has evolved over the years and today can be seen as a set of principles intended to provide a structured approach to making the everyday decisions that keep a project running. In a nutshell, managing a project effectively means thinking before acting, identifying and dealing with potential problems before they occur, and constantly monitoring to determine whether your actions are achieving their desired results.
In this comprehensive full-day workshop, you will learn the fundamentals of a project life cycle and principles of effective project management: how to initiate, plan, and execute a project that meets objectives, on time and within the budget. Project management competency development will be achieved through (i) interactive and hands-on workshop exercises, and (ii) subsequent one-on-one mentoring and monitoring of the successful implementation of the acquired knowledge into participant’s projects and working environment.
The benefits of this program are two-fold:
1) You will enrich your current work with new, challenging, and highly motivating tasks, which in turn will enhance your productivity and job satisfaction
2) You will develop highly valued transferable competency and enhance your professional portfolio, which will actively prepare you for your next professional step.
• Understand the importance of Project Management in any (business) project
• Clearly define project objectives (SMART), project deliverables and milestones
• Create a project Work Breakdown Structure
• Develop a manageable project schedule and budget
• Understand risk and contingency planning
• Manage project stakeholders and their expectations
• Learn to effectively communicate project performance
• Use tools and techniques to manage a project during execution
• Transfer the acquired knowledge to own working environment
During the workshop the trainer will utilize short instructions, work on a case study, as well as discussion and feedback sessions to encourage new skill learning and topic understanding. Mentoring of participants and their skill development will be provided to all participants after the workshop as described above. Participants are required to bring only their notebooks/laptops for taking notes. The course material will be distributed as PDF files to all participants.
Doctoral Candidates & Postdocs
About the Trainer
Dr. Dimitrije Krstic is a freelance Researcher Developer, who organizes and delivers transferable skills workshops for research institutions in Switzerland. Dr. Krstic combines his extensive research experience in life sciences and in-depth understanding of HR development processes to provide fun, interactive, and informative learning experiences.
Dimitrije obtained his Ph.D. in Molecular Biology from the University of Zurich, and subsequently went through an intensive postdoctoral training in Switzerland and the USA. In parallel to his Masters studies in HR Management at Edinburgh Business School in UK, he worked for two years as a Scientific Talent Development Manager at an EU funded training project AREA. One of the outcomes of his professional interest is also an online free-access project for promotion of soft skills development www.PimpYourScience.org.
1 ECTS / 32 h
Preliminary work: ~0.5 h
Workshop: 7 h
Follow up online course: ~3 h per week, 8 weeks
Registrations will be processed according on a “first come, first served” principle. The course registration will be confirmed by email. The registration to a course makes the participation in the full training mandatory. For this workshop unexcused absence and cancellation of the workshop after the registration deadline leads to a penalty fee of CHF 30.00. (send an email to email@example.com). Please find the detailed regulations on the Transferable Skills Homepage.